7 ways to keep your cool this summer
No matter how many times we welcome warmer temperature, only to blast it when it lingers in the twenties for five consecutive days, we never seem to be prepared.
We’re more likely to keep an umbrella to hand than a personal fan, but keeping your cool when all about you are losing theirs is easy if you know how. You may even turn a few heads while doing it.
- Face mist – A portable solution can be yours for under a fiver, with canned hydration to keep you fresh-faced. Start adding in vitamins, toners and the like into the mix and you can expect to pay ten times that amount.
- Hot curry – The heat compound capsaicin found in chillis stimulates sweat production. Sweating leads to heat loss as your perspiration evaporates, so while your mouth might be on fire, your body will be cooled.
- Thermos flask – Well-designed flasks do just as good a job at keeping drinks hot as they do keeping them cold. Pack a drink with some ice and you won’t need that pricey iced smoothie.
- Pulse points – Keep gel packs in the fridge and place them on your pulse points when you feel like you’re overheating. These are on your neck, wrists, the inside or your elbows, knees and thighs, by your ankle bone and on your temple. These areas are where your blood vessels are closest to the surface of your skin, and so can easily be cooled to bring down your overall body temperature.
- Phone fan – Whatever happened to those little portable fans? They’ve been usurped by the more convenient phone-integrated version. Micro USB fans can plug into your smartphone to be used anywhere, whether you’re at a cricket match or taking the tube home. And the best part is, they run off your phone’s power, so you don’t need to worry about replacing the batteries.
- Umbrella – Victorian parasols could be due a comeback. Well, sort of. The Fanbrella is an umbrella with, you guessed it, an integrated fan so you can cool off at the flip of a switch while staying dry. The reinvention doesn’t stop there, as the fan is powered by solar energy.
- Beer cooler – Nothing draws attention to drinking in a public place like a brown paper bag, but given that you’ll be enjoying a cold beverage from the Bum Bag Drinks Cooler, which is waterproof, tearproof, and foil lined, you probably won’t care.