×Coronavirus Update: Read our latest news and updates here
Looking for a quote for Unoccupied Property Insurance?

Protect your vacant property

with our tailor made unoccupied property insurance

Get A Quote

Why Choose Us?

Finding competitive unoccupied property insurance can often be a challenge as many home insurance companies will not even consider this type of cover. At Watkin Davies, our skilled team of insurance advisors know exactly where to look to find the best cover available on the market. Not only will we find you a competitive deal, we will talk you through the provisions in plain English, so you understand exactly what is expected of you.

What is Unoccupied Property Insurance?

Unoccupied home insurance covers you when your home is empty for longer than your standard policy will allow. You only normally get cover if your home is empty for up to 60 days – and if anything happens outside this period you won’t be covered.

When your home is empty for an extended period, the chances of theft go up. An unoccupied home also carries a higher risk of structural damage – for example, if a pipe bursts and there’s no-one there to handle repairs, the effects could be even more damaging.

An important factor to bear in mind is a consequence of The Occupiers Liability Act 1957, which makes the owner of a vacant property legally liable for any death or injury to visitors or trespassers on the property. Owners owe a duty of care to ensure vacant premises are well secured and prevent access to children. This ensures the absolute necessity for liability insurance.

What do we cover?

  • Storm, flood or fire damage: If any natural disaster happens while you’re away
  • Escape of water or oil: If a pipe bursts or there’s a leakage somewhere in the house
  • Theft and/or attempted theft: If someone successfully breaks in or attempts to break into your home and steals your belongings
  • Vandalism: If criminal damage occurs in your absence
  • Legal expenses: If you need to pay legal fees for the removal of squatters, for trespassers or for personal identity theft
  • Public liability insurance: If damage is caused by a property that you are responsible for; for example, if a roof tile falls and breaks a car window

Latest Property News

Falling leaves blocking drains? Don’t let it lead to flooding

No Comments

As the nights draw in and jumpers come out for the autumn season, crispy golden leaves can look pretty, but can become a nuisance when they start t

Read more

Up your household security for autumn and winter

No Comments

The end of British Summer Time signifies shorter days, longer nights and a 20% rise in home burglaries across the UK.

Read more

Preparing your home for winter

No Comments

As the winter period of extreme weather sets in, we share some guidance to help protect your homes.

Read more

Have you checked your carbon monoxide alarm recently?

No Comments

When’s the last time you checked your carbon monoxide alarm? It could save your life.

Read more

What makes a good landlord? Here are 6 top tips

No Comments

Stepping onto the property ladder is becoming increasingly difficult and figures suggest many millennials will rent for the rest of their lives.

Read more

About Us

Watkin Davies Insurance Consultants Ltd are one of Wales’ largest Independent Insurance Brokers, established in 1978 by Roger Watkins. Since this time we have become one of the leading Commercial and Personal Insurance Brokers in the region and the trusted insurance advisor to hundreds of Welsh and UK businesses and individuals.

Head Office

15 & 19 Penlline Road
Cardiff, CF14 2AA
029 2062 6226
Opening Hours
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5.00pm
Sat: Closed
Sun: Closed

Official Insurance Partner

Official Insurance Partner of the FAW Trust

Official Insurance Partner of the WSA

Membership & Accreditation

Chwarae Teg FairPlay Employer Award

Member of British Insurance Brokers Association